- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Surgeons, Small Animal
- Residency, Small Animal Surgery, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
- Master of Science, Veterinary Clinical Medicine, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
- Internship, Small Animal Surgery, Dallas Veterinary Surgical Center, TX
- Internship, Small Animal Medicine & Surgery, North Carolina State University, Raleigh
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine, Blacksburg, Virginia
James River Veterinary Surgery was founded on the belief that healing comes not only from the finest surgical care, but also from honest communication and genuine compassion. A premier veterinary surgical service in central Virginia, JRVS offers each of these qualities when treating your companion animal. We are a cornerstone partner in the treatment of patients suffering from trauma, cancer, developmental and acquired orthopedic abnormalities, and other surgically-related diseases affecting the gastrointestinal, respiratory, urinary, and reproductive tracts.
We believe that providing cutting-edge surgical, regenerative, and medical therapies to improve your companion’s quality of life while delivering honest and compassionate communication with you and your veterinarian goes hand in hand. The JRVS team is dedicated to thinking outside the box and always going the extra mile for your beloved pet.
JRVS Affiliated Partners
JRVS is a full-service surgery that allows pets and their owners the ease of having everything done in one, comfortable location. Our state-of-the-art building offers dedicated consultation rooms, surgical suites, in-house CT scan and MRI, radiology and fluoroscopy suites, a dedicated ICU and anesthesia recovery rooms, in-house laboratory equipment, and access to all specialty groups.
Roy Barnes, DVM, MS, Diplomate ACVS
Katie Pinner, BS, LVT
Jennifer Horwath, BS, MA, LVT
Jessica Hammill, LVT
Shannon Banks, CSC
Tyler Peck, Veterinary Assistant
Brooke Verdelotti, Veterinary Assistant
In addition to his career in veterinary medicine, Dr. Roy Barnes is actively involved in philanthropic work in the Richmond community, serving non-profit organizations based on their individual needs. Here are organizations JRVS has worked with: